The Education Trust–New York seeks a full-time Research Analyst who will help to accelerate and amplify Ed Trust–NY’s policy agenda. They will develop and conduct policy and data analyses to inform and support the organization’s policy agenda, from early childhood to higher education.
About Ed Trust–NY:
The Education Trust–New York works for educational justice and the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, from early childhood through college completion. We expose educational injustices and inequities that separate students of color, multilingual learners, and low-income students from their peers, and we identify and advocate for strategies that will dramatically decrease equity gaps. Ed Trust–NY is a nonpartisan, data-driven, nonprofit education policy and advocacy organization. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, community, and business leaders.
Ed Trust–NY is a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with high expectations for our team and the work we produce. We are committed to high-quality policy and advocacy in our relentless pursuit of equity.
To learn more, please visit www.edtrustny.org.
The Research Analyst will support Ed Trust–NY’s efforts to identify, analyze, and advance policies that close equity gaps in early childhood, K-12, and higher education. The Research Analyst will support the development of research briefs, data tools, blogs, and presentations that will advance, promote, and elevate Ed Trust–NY’s policy agenda.
They will be an experienced policy analyst with the ability to work with large sets of data – including Census data – and experience conducting analyses to demonstrate how policy proposals may play out in the real world.
The ideal candidate for this role has a deep knowledge of the education policy landscape in New York State. The position will be based in New York City.
The Research Analyst’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and conduct data and policy analyses focused on early childhood, K-12, and higher education. Use these analyses to demonstrate how policy proposals may play out in the field to inform the organization’s policy recommendations and identification of successful programs and practices.
- Present analysis to internal and external audiences through PowerPoint presentations, reports, and web content.
- Develop and maintain databases including data on educational opportunities, resources, and student achievement.
- Work collaboratively with staff to monitor state, federal, and local early childhood, K-12, and higher education policy and quickly respond to legislative and regulatory proposals, inquiries from allies, and other rapid-response opportunities, to make the organization’s case in the media and beyond.
- Keep up-to-date on education policy in the state of New York by reading, evaluating, and summarizing academic and policy research relating to our policy and advocacy agenda.
- Develop protocols and conduct focus groups and interviews in support of our research and advocacy.
- Respond to requests for data and information from website visitors, researchers, community members, and other users of Ed Trust–NY materials.
- Collaborate with partner organizations on initiatives or projects
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- Passion for increasing statewide access to educational justice for all children, especially focused on children from low-income backgrounds and children of color who have been impacted by systemic racism and other social barriers to access, and an unwavering belief that these children could be much more successful if institutions better served them and their families.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion internally and externally, including confronting the impact of systemic racism in policy and advocacy work.
- At least 2-3 years of experience designing and conducting education policy and data analysis.
- Master’s or PhD with 1 year of relevant professional experience, or Bachelor’s with 2-3 years of relevant professional experience, or 3+ years of relevant professional experience (preferred, but will consider all candidates).
- Demonstrated experience with using data to support policy development.
- Experience with and knowledge of state and national education datasets, including Census data, and the ability to perform detailed quantitative analyses of large data sets using Excel and STATA statistical analysis software.
- Strong analytical and research skills, with an emphasis on understanding research methodology and statistics, quantitative analysis and interpretation.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in developing analyses, collecting and analyzing data, and presenting findings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to present quantitative data to lay audiences (including experience with PowerPoint).
- Ability to work on and manage multiple projects with quick turnarounds.
- Strong sense of honor and integrity.
- A supportive working style that brings out the best in colleagues.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Ed Trust–NY offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please apply using this link. We review applications on a rolling basis.
The Education Trust–New York is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.