ABOUT THE POSITION
Based in New York City, the Research and Policy Analyst will report to the Senior Research and Policy Analyst and serve as a member of the Research team.
The ideal candidate for this role has knowledge of the education policy landscape – particularly early childhood education or higher education – in New York State. They are passionate about increasing statewide access to educational justice for all children, especially children from low-income backgrounds and children of color. They have an unwavering belief that these children could be much more successful if institutions better served them and their families, and they are committed to the role and responsibility of data in the educational justice movement.
The Research and Policy Analyst will work to identify, analyze, and advance policies that close equity gaps in early childhood, K-12, and higher education. They will manage a large portfolio of research tasks in a fast-paced environment. Their work will fuel the interactive data tools, research briefs, blogs, and presentations that characterize Ed Trust’s data-driven advocacy to help all students achieve big gains in the classroom, especially those of color or living in poverty.
The Research and Policy Analyst will join our team at a time when students and families are experiencing intense changes in their education and their lives. As a key member on a small but mighty team, this position has the potential to shape policy and advocacy conversations across the state.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Education Trust–New York works for educational justice and the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, from early childhood through college completion. We expose educational injustices and inequities that separate students of color, multilingual learners, and low-income students from their peers, and we identify and advocate for strategies that will dramatically decrease equity gaps. Ed Trust–NY is a nonpartisan, data-driven, nonprofit education policy and advocacy organization. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, community, and business leaders.
Ed Trust–NY is a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with high expectations for our team and the work we produce. We are committed to high-quality policy and advocacy in our relentless pursuit of equity.
- Develop strong research questions and methodologies to identify relevant, feasible analytical approaches. Support our team in designing innovative analyses and measuring things that may not have been measured before.
- Conduct sophisticated quantitative data analyses to share with the field in a variety of formats.
- Clean, organize, and vet data from multiple sources to ensure it is ready for analysis.
- Perform quality assurance to validate the accuracy and integrity of analyses before we share them with partners across the state.
- Monitor trends in education research, data management, and education policy and practice to support our data team in conducting analyses that are responsive, proactive, and up to date with the field.
- Track and report the progress of a high volume of research projects to help our team deliver analyses on time and adjust timelines when needed.
- Draft and present policy briefs, memos, and recommendations for audiences including community members, our advocacy partners, policymakers, and the general public.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or at least two years of demonstrated experience conducting quantitative research and analysis.
- Experience with quantitative analysis software: Stata proficiency and advanced Excel skills are preferred. Experience with managing large data sets is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Passion for the role of data and research in advancing educational outcomes.
- Preferred but not required: interest in early childhood education or higher education.
COMPENSATION: The annual salary for this position starts at $68k and will be commensurate with experience. The Education Trust–New York offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision benefits as well as a 403(b) retirement plan.
LOCATION: We operate in a Hybrid environment, working 2 days per week from our office in New York, NY.
This organization is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Vaccination for COVID-19: At The Education Trust, the health and safety of our employees is of the utmost importance. As such, all Education Trust employees are required to be fully vaccinated and remain up to date on their vaccinations for COVID-19. New hires should be fully vaccinated and up to date on their COVID-19 vaccinations prior to their first day of work. Requests for accommodations due to medical or religious reasons will be reviewed by Human Resources.