The Education Trust–New York seeks a full-time Communications Manager. Reporting to the Communications Director, s/he will be responsible for increasing awareness of and commitment to Ed Trust–NY’s mission and work among a broad range of audiences, most particularly opinion leaders, educators, policymakers, and the general public.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The Education Trust–New York works for educational justice and the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, from early childhood through college completion. We expose educational injustices and inequities that separate students of color, multilingual learners, and low-income students from their peers, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close equity gaps. Ed Trust–NY is a nonpartisan, data-driven, nonprofit education policy and advocacy organization. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders.
Ed Trust–NY is a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with high expectations for our team and the work we produce. We are committed to high-quality policy and advocacy and the relentless pursuit of equity.
To learn more, please visit edtrustny.org.
The Communications Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Working with the Communications Director, lead and execute Ed Trust–NY’s social media efforts, maximizing the potential to expand and intensify the impact of our narrative-building and advocacy efforts.
- Manage and create content for Ed Trust–NY’s social media accounts.
- Maintain social media calendar that advances Ed Trust–NY’s advocacy agenda and amplifies the work and voices of partner organizations.
- Develop social media toolkits to share with partner organizations that consistently promote Ed Trust–NY and its advocacy agenda.
- Drive engagement on Ed Trust–NY’s social media channels, with an eye toward increasing following and engagement.
- Support team members interested in developing a presence on social media.
- Assist with maintaining organization’s websites.
- Work closely with web designers to write, post, and update content related to our project releases.
- Produce supplemental collateral, such as blog posts, photos, videos, and infographics.
- Look for opportunities to consistently freshen and update content to improve user experience, and work with Communications Director and website developers to execute.
- Assist with planning for and executing releases of policy briefs, analyses, and other projects. This work will include drafting press releases, copy editing reports, working with partners to gather feedback and quotes, and managing our related social media strategy.
- Produce two newsletters (one weekly, one biweekly).
- Maintain editorial calendar for newsletters.
- Conduct interviews when needed and write copy.
- Compile newsletters for review by Communications Director.
- Assist with developing and tracking metrics for assessing the impact of our digital communications efforts.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
We are looking for the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in journalism or communications, which could include work at school newspapers, internships, freelancing, or other professional experiences.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written, are essential. Proven ability to persuade by written and spoken word.
- Substantial knowledge of and proven success with digital and social media is essential.
- Familiarity with Word Press, InDesign, Hootsuite, Canva, Google Analytics, Microsoft Excel, and any video editing programs all favorable.
- Demonstrated ability to create engaging social media content and manage social media profiles to strategically grow their reach.
- Experience with and ability to balance multiple demands and deadlines with composure.
- Knowledge of issues relevant to education. Experience working in or familiarity with education in New York State preferred, but not required.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for students of color and students from low-income backgrounds, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, cultures and perspectives.
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence.
- Healthy respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusivity.
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented.
- Strong sense of honor and integrity and a commitment to the highest ethical standards.
- A warm personal style with a good sense of humor.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust–New York offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please click here to apply. We review applications on a rolling basis.
The Education Trust–New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.