A note to all applicants
- All positions currently open are posted on this website.
- For full consideration, please follow the application process listed for each job description. We ask that you send your application and correspondence only to the address provided.
- We will give every application our full attention; however, we are not able to respond to individual inquiries on the status of your application. You will receive an auto-reply message letting you know that we received your application, and the appropriate hiring manager will contact you if we wish to pursue your candidacy.
- The positions listed below are available in our New York office unless otherwise noted.
- Visit the Ed Trust website for a full list of positions available in our Washington, D.C. office.
- Visit the Ed Trust–Midwest website for a full list of positions available in our Royal Oak, Michigan office.
- Visit the Ed Trust–West website for a full list of positions available in our Oakland, California office.
The Education Trust–New York (ETNY), a nonpartisan, data-driven nonprofit education advocacy organization, seeks a full-time Communications Manager. Reporting to the Executive Director, s/he will be responsible for increasing awareness of and commitment to ETNY’s mission and work among a broad range of audiences, most particularly opinion leaders, educators, policy makers, and the general public.
About the Organization
We are fierce advocates for the high academic achievement of all students—from early childhood through college completion—particularly for students of color or living in poverty. Many organizations speak up for the adults employed by schools; we speak up for the students, especially those whose needs and potential are often overlooked. Through both research and advocacy, our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people—especially those from low-income families or who are African-American, Latino, or American Indian—to lives on the margins of the American mainstream. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders across the country in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state and national policy agendas.
ETNY serves as the New York State affiliate of the national Education Trust, which is headquartered in Washington D.C., and includes additional state offices in California and Michigan. Founded in 1996, The Education Trust is widely recognized as an unrivaled source of effective advocacy, expert analysis and testimony, concise written and spoken presentations, research, and technical assistance to districts, colleges, and community-based organizations.
For additional information on ETNY, please visit www.edtrustny.org.
The Communications Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and implement integrated, sophisticated short- and long-term communications and messaging strategies to drive the advocacy efforts of ETNY.
- Craft press releases, official statements, opinion pieces, and blog posts for ETNY and its partners.
- Pitch materials to reporters and editorial writers.
- Manage and continuously build media database.
- Manage outside contracts with public relations consultants.
- Lead and execute ETNY’s social media efforts, maximizing the potential to expand and intensify the impact of our narrative-building and advocacy efforts.
- Build and nurture relationships with journalists and broaden the organization’s relationship base to help advance the mission and efforts of ETNY.
- Oversee development and maintenance of the organization’s website to ensure that it is an up-to-date and effective tool for advancing the work and our message.
- Develop and implement metrics for assessing the impact of our communications efforts.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- 5 years experience in the press or public relations field.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written, are essential. Proven ability to persuade by written and spoken word.
- Substantial knowledge of and proven success with print and electronic media are essential.
- Demonstrated skills in media relations and writing, including proven media placement abilities, as well as experience designing and implementing publicity strategies.
- Demonstrated experience creating and implementing press strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and promotion of public policy.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as public spokesperson with media.
- Experience with and ability to balance multiple demands and deadlines with composure.
- Knowledge of issues relevant to education.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them;
- Demonstrated ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, cultures and perspectives;
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently and thrive in a start-up culture;
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence;
- Healthy respect for colleagues;
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented;
- Strong sense of honor and integrity and a commitment to the highest ethical standards; and
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust–New York offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Provide a cover letter and resume to be considered for this position. Please combine your cover letter and resume into one document and upload that document. Our application system will not allow you to upload more than one file. To begin the application process, please click here.
The Education Trust–New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.